Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Easy Buckeyes

Scott isn't much of a sweets guy.  This is great, cuz I'm not much of a baker.  However, this year, he kept hinting that he was craving Buckeyes...a staple at Christmas time in our home state of Ohio.  Believe or not, in all my 34 years I've never eaten a buckeye, let alone made one.  I wanted to surprise him with a batch.  Thank goodness for the Internet because I found this recipe for "Almost Instant Buckeyes."  I think making these will now be an annual tradition in the Segal home.  They got great reviews from the hubs, kids, and friends/neighbors. 

-1 (10 ounce) package peanut butter chips
-1 (16 ounce) can vanilla ready-to-spread frosting
-1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
 
 
Line some cookie sheets with waxed paper or parchment paper.  Melt pb chips in microwave.  Stir after every 30 seconds.  They will take about 2 minutes to melt.  Remove from microwave and stir in frosting...I use a hand mixer. Let stand about 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. 

Roll peanut butter mixture into 1-inch balls; place on cookie sheet.  Refrigerate (or freeze) for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips the same way you melted the pb chips. 
 
 
Pierce each pb ball with a toothpick and dip into the melted chocolate.  Leave a small area around the toothpick uncoated so the ball resembles a buckeye.  Place dipped ball on a wax paper covered cookie sheet, pushing the candy off of toothpick with tines of a fork (or a clean finger).  To smooth  out the toothpick mark, give the hole a pinch and then smooth it down.  Let stand for 5 minutes or until set. (I put mine in the freezer).
 
 
Makes about 5 dozen.
 
 
These truly were a cinch to make...I mean I made them so how difficult could they be??   Mine don't look as pretty as those on the website but hey, it was my first go at them!

No comments: