Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Italian Salad

This salad was my dinner last night.  I almost ate the entire bowl by myself.  So good!  It was a staple in my home growing up and it's super simple.  I love veggies but I don't always love lettuce...therefore, this is the perfect salad for me.

-Box of button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thin
-2 tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
-1/4 of a large  red onion, sliced very thin
-3/4 of an English cucumber, skin removed and sliced thin
-Quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar
-Salt and pepper
-Italian seasoning



Toss all the veggies in a bowl.  Sprinkle generously with salt and freshly ground pepper and add about a tablespoon or so of dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano or whatever mixture you have on hand).   Pour a few generous tablespoons each of the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over veggies and stir gently to coat everything.  Let sit and marinate at least 20-30 minutes and then serve.  I let it sit on the counter to marinate and serve at room temperature because I don't like my veggies cold.


Scott loves to take leftovers of this stuff to work with him the following day.  He thinks it tastes even better then next day! 

*I love serving this salad with pizza so I can dip my crust in the excess dressing.  Or, just serve with some fresh Italian bread to dab up all the extra oil/vinegar.  YUM!

*You can also add in fresh mozzarella balls to this mixture. 

No comments: