Monday, December 12, 2011

Beef, Barley & Quinoa Soup

I had a little barley and a little quinoa left in my pantry and was trying to come up with something that I could use them both in... I decided to adapt the soup recipe on the back of the barley box a little bit.  The fam seemed to like it so I think I'll make it again.

-1/2 pound lean ground beef, browned and drained
-1/2 cup onion, chopped
-1 clove garlic, minced
-8 cups beef broth
-2 cans of Rotel
-1/2 cup Barley, uncooked
-1/4-1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
-1 can lima beans, drained/rinsed
--1/2 cup celery, chopped
-1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
-1-2 bay leaves
-1 family size package of frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)

In large stock pot, saute onion, celery, and garlic in a little olive oil until tender. Add all additional ingredients EXCEPT quinoa and frozen veggies.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, stirring occcassionally.  Add in quinoa and frozen veggies and cook about 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Add additional water if needed since the soup with thicken upon standing.

No comments: