Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Salsa Meatloaf

We all love meatloaf in this house.  However, I am horrible at making it!  I can get it to taste pretty good, it just usually falls apart.  I'm not great about following recipes so that's probably my problem (that and I always try to make it with ground turkey which never turns out that great).  I recently tried my friend's recipe for this salsa meatloaf...I will never make anything different.  It was super tasty.  The Segal boys all gave it glowing reviews!

-1 pound ground round (I used the leanest ground beef)
-1 cup salsa, divided (medium to hot)
-2/3 cup soft whole wheat breadcrumbs (I just use the regular Italian seasoned breadcrumbs in my pantry)
-1 egg 
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage (I never have this so I use mixed Italian seasoning)
-1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Shape mixture into a 6x4 inch loaf and place on a rack coated with cooking spray (I skipped this part). Place rack in roasting pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 55 mins. Brush/pour remaining 1/2 cup salsa over loaf, and bake 5 additional minutes (optional). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Calories 126
Carbohydrates 4.5g
Fiber 1g Fat 3.4g
Cholesterol 43mg
Calcium 28mg
Protein 18.8
Sodium 282mg
Iron 2mg

From the kitchen of Megan Guttman.

No comments: