Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tuna Casserole

I know some people don't care for tuna casserole, but we love it.  My family devours it when I make it and leftovers don't last long in our home. I've recently been asked for my recipe by a couple different peeps so thought I'd post it on the blog.  This is a recipe that I usually just eyeball and I throw things in as I go along making it a little different every time.  However, last time I made it, I jotted down the general measurements.  This recipe reminds me of my childhood.  We ate a lot of tuna casserole growing up!


-6 ounces egg noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained (about half a bag)
-1/2-3/4 cup chopped celery
-1/2 cup chopped onion
-1 stick margarine, divided
-8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms or one can of mushrooms, drained
-12 ounce can solid white albacore tuna (or canned chicken works too)
-1 can mushroom soup
-1-1 1/2 cup milk
-2 cups shredded cheese (co jack or cheddar works best)
-1-1/12 sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed (about 35-50 crackers)
-salt and pepper

Saute celery, onion and mushrooms in a 1/2 stick of margarine until tender.  Meanwhile, combine noodles, tuna, soup, milk, and cheese together.  I add in enough milk to make the consistency a little soupy.  Add in onions, celery and mushrooms along with melted margarine.  Gently mix and then smooth into a casserole dish.  Melt the second 1/2 stick of margarine and combine with the crushed Ritz crackers.  Layer the cracker crumbs over the noodle mixture.  Bake (uncovered) for 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees or until it starts to bubble.
*A bag of frozen mixed veggies cooks up great in here as well!  Just stir them into with your noodle mixture.

No comments: