Thursday, May 19, 2011

Orzo Salad with Kalamata Olives, Peppers and Feta

This one is very similar to the Greek Couscous Salad I often throw together.  However, I don't think I'll go back to the couscous.  The orzo works so much better in something like this.  I could live on it...so yummy!

-1 tsp salt
-2 cups orzo (I used an entire 1 pound box of orzo)
-1 red bell pepper, diced (I only had red, green & orange peppers so I used those)
-1 yellow bell pepper, diced
-6 oounces feta cheese, crumbled (I've stated this before but I LOVE FETA.  Therefore, I used a 10 ounce container!)
-1 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
-4 green onions, thinly sliced
**I also added in a cup of halved grape tomatoes
Dressing:
-6 tablespoons olive oil
-2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (it's the juice of half a large lemon)
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4 cup flat leaf parlsey, chopped
-3/4 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper

Cook orzo in salted water until al dente ( 8-10 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with olive oil. Add bell peppers, cheese, olives, and green onions.

To make dressing: in a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, garlic parsley, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Add dressing to salad and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Remove from refrigerator for 30 min prior to serving.

From the kitchen of Megan Guttman

No comments: