Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chicken and Barley Soup

While my grandma and I were chatting on the phone a few weeks ago, she mentioned that she was making beef and barley soup.  I realized that I've never cooked with barley before and decided to pick some up at the store.  I wanted to create something using chicken instead of beef.  This is what I pulled together from my pantry.  The result was yummy!

-3 cups chicken, cut into bite sized  pieces
-Chopped onion, about 1/2 of a medium onion
-Garlic, about 1 clove, chopped
-1/2-1 cup medium barley, uncooked
-1 can roasted tomatoes, chopped (roasted red peppers would be great too!)
-A couple stalks of celery, chopped
-1 bay leaf
-1/2-1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning (or you just use basil or oregano if you don't have it mixed)
-Can of lima beans, rinsed (you could also use butter beans)
-8 cups of chicken broth (I used low sodium)
-2-4 cans of water
-1 package of frozen mixed veggies (I used the one with corn, peas, green beans and carrots)

In a stock pot, brown chicken in a little oil.  Add in onion and garlic and cook until tender.  Stir in remaining ingredients except for the frozen veggies.  Simmer for about an hour or so.  Add in your frozen veg and cook for about 10 more minutes.  Don't forget to fish out your bay leaf before serving.  Perfect with some buttered crusty bread for dipping.  All the boys LOVED it!  We ate every last drop. 

Has anyone ever cooked with quinoa?  I finally stocked some in my pantry and am wondering what I can do with it.  Is it good in soup?

No comments: