Friday, February 12, 2010

Tamale Casserole

This is like a super easy, mexican pot pie. I usually make it with ground turkey and serve with a dollop of sour cream (and jalepenos for me) on top.

-1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
-1 can kidney or black beans
-1 small can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, sliced (I omit this ingredient...too spicy for my kids and it's just as yummy without it)
-1 green pepper, sliced
-1 small yellow onion, diced
-1 can enchilada sauce
-Fresh or canned mushrooms
-2 garlic cloves
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1 pkg. cornbread (or muffin) mix (and ingredients need to prepare it)

Brown the meat and put it in the slow cooker. Stir in everything except the cornbread. Mix cornbread according to package. Pour cornbread mixture over ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low, 5 hours.

**I mix all the ingredients together in the crockpot except for the corn bread mix. I set the crock pot on low. Five hours prior to dinner time, I prepare the corn bread mixture, layered it on top of the mixture already in the crockpot and kept the crockpot on low for another 5 hours.


No comments: