Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Kim's Smoothies

Scott and I were addicted to smoothies back in our pre-kid days. While on vacation last week, he had a craving for one and it's now become part of our everyday breakfast routine again. The kids are loving them and beg for one in the morning. They are so easy and healthy. Plus, the kids LOVE pushing the on and off buttons on the blender for me. They will eat anything that they had a hand in making.

I've never followed a recipe, but wrote down some estimated ingredients for Scott's sake the other day and thought I'd also share with you.

-2 bananas
-2 cups orange juice
-3/4-1 cup of yogurt (I use plain low-fat yogurt, but you could also use greek yogurt. In a pinch, any flavor yogurt will do...this morning I used vanilla because I ran out of plain)
-2 cups frozen fruit
-1-2 T wheat germ
-1-2 T honey


Dump all your ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. I always use frozen strawberries or blueberries, but I'm sure raspberries, peaches or other frozen fruit would work well too. You could also use fresh fruit but then would need to add some ice to your smoothie before blending. Makes about 4 cups.

No comments: