Sunday, January 23, 2011

Breakfast Cookie

One of Scott's coworkers passed this recipe along to me. I tend to burn everything I bake, but thought I'd give them a try with Adam this week. They turned out great! Adam wasn't too keen on the taste, but he doesn't like "cookies" unless they have chocolate chips. Zach and I have been scarfing them down. I'm not sure I'd let the kids eat these for breakfast, but I don't feel guilty giving these to them (or myself) as a snack. I will admit that I HAVE eaten a few for breakfast this week! :)

-1/2 cup butter (I used margarine because I never have butter on hand)
-1/2 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1/4 cup molasses
-3/4 cup honey
-1 tsp. vanilla
-2 large eggs

-1/2 cup all purpose flour
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup wheat germ
-3+ cups oats (I only had quick oats on hand and ended up using 3 cups exactly...didn't need to add any more)
-1/2 tsps salt
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1 cup dried fruit bits (Adam selected dried blueberries, cranberries, and chopped dried apples to add in)

Cream together wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients and mix. You may need more than 3 cups of 0ats depending upon consistency. I only ended up using 3 cups. Use an ice cream scoop for large breakfast sized cookies. Flatten out cookies with your fingertips just a bit before putting them in oven. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until light brown. Makes about 20 large cookies.
As was suggested to me, after they were cool, we individually wrapped each cookie. This makes them easy to grab as a snack on the go and helps keep them moist.

No comments: