Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pasta with Ricotta and Peas

In case you didn't see this one posted in the comments section....

Adam and I had it for dinner tonight. Very simple and Adam actually helped me prepare it (well, he did some stirring). We both devoured it.

-12 oz. whole wheat pasta (I used about 8 oz. pasta)
-1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
-3 tbsp. olive oil
-1 clove garlic, chopped
-1 cup fresh peas (I used frozen peas)
-1 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
-1 cup halved yellow grape tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes)
-1 lemon, zested

Boil a large pot of salted water and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, saving 1 cup of cooking liquid. In a bowl, toss hot pasta and the ricotta cheese until combined.

Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic first, then the peas, salt and pepper; saute for about 4 minutes. Add reserved cooking liquid and contine cooking until peas are tender and bright green, about 4 more minutes.

Add the ricotta pasta to the pan; toss over low heat to combine. Add tomatoes and mix. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with lemon zest. Makes 6 servings.

323 calories
11 progein
10 fat
48 carb
5 fiber

From the kitchen of Michele Toman.

Michele's notes:
When I make, I just wing it. I just make the amount of pasta I need - and cook a ton of peas. I add some mushrooms and grilled chicken, too. I zest a 1/2 lemon and just mix in some ricotta cheese to taste. Another variation is to add some tomato sauce to make a "pink sauce".

No comments: