Monday, March 14, 2011

Mediterranean Tacos

On Sunday, Scott was requesting something Mediterranean grilled for dinner. I was looking to make something easy and use stuff we had on hand. This is what we came up with...

-Chicken breasts (boneless or bone in), we used 4
-Zesty Italian salad dressing
-Flour Tortillas or Pita Bread
-Hummus
-Box of Couscous, prepared*
-Romaine lettuce, sliced thin
-Kalamata olives
-Feta
-Tomatoes, large dice
-Zucchini or cucumbers, thinly sliced

Marinate chicken in salas dressing for few hours and then grill. Scott always like to use his mesquite wood chips while grilling - see this recipe for tips. We used bone in chicken breast...takes about an hour on the grill. I think this Morrocan Chicken recipe would also taste great with these tacos. However, I didn't have these ingredients on hand. While your chicken is grilling, prep your toppings.

When chicken is done, slice into thin pieces (think fajita slices). Start your taco by smoothing some hummus onto a tortilla (we used tortillas because that's what we had...pita would be fab as well!). Next, layer on some chicken and all your favorite toppings. Serve with a side of couscous or do what I did and put the couscous right on your taco. Enjoy!

*You can prepare a box of couscous and serve it as it. However, I prefer to jazz ours up a little bit. After preparing my couscous, I let it sit at room temperature to cool. Once thoroughly cooled, I drizzle with olive oil and then add in some veggies....zucchini, yellow squash, chopped tomatoes, carrots. Then I dump in a container of feta (we LOVE feta!!) and gently mix. This makes a meal in itself...I love to eat this stuff for lunch.

No comments: