Monday, June 02, 2008

Blueberry Scones

This is my favorite scone recipe...I need to dig out my scone pan and get baking. So, so yummy!

-2/3 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt (I use buttermilk)
-1 large egg
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-4 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 t baking soda
-1/4 t salt
-8 T cold, unsalted butter
-1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (I use frozen blueberries instead)
-1/2 cup sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a scone pan with cooking spray (or just coat a cookie sheet with spray). Beat egg with buttermilk and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter, cuting with a pastry blender or rubbing with your fingers (I use my fingers) until mixture looks granular. Lightly stir in cranberries/blueberries and sugar. Stir in buttermilk mixture with a fork until a soft dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 times. (I do this on some wax paper because blueberries will stain your countertop!). Separate dough into eight equal pieces and press into scone pan. If you don't have a scone pan form into 8 triangle scone shaped pieces and place on baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until medium brown. Let cool 20 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool completely. SCRUMMY!

No comments: