Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I tried this one for the first time last night. So easy!

-2-3 cups cooked shredded chicken (I was lazy last night and just threw in some canned chicken - 2 cans, drained)
-2 cans chicken broth (low sodium)
-2 cups instant white rice (I used brown)
-1 jar of salsa con queso
-1 can of cream of chicken condensed soup (low sodium/fat free)
-1 cup of corn
-1/2 cup milk
-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-Baked tortillas (I served with tortilla chips)
-Sour cream
-**I felt a little guilty about all that processed cheese so I also added a can of black beans, drained and rinsed

Combine the first seven ingredients in a slow cooker - set on high for quick cooking, low for a slower simmer. Stir every 20 minutes to "marry" ingredients.
When just about done (approx. 1 hour on high; 2 hours on low) - add the shredded cheese; stir until thoroughly melted. Serve warm with crushed tortillas and a dollop of sour cream on top (scallions optional).

From the kitchen of Kelley Midagliotti

No comments: