Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

My mother in law makes an amazing pumpkin pie.  I planned on making this last Thanksgiving so I got the recipe from her.  I never ended up making it...I'm posting it for myself so I can make it this year. 

-1 envelope unflavored gelatin
-3/4 cup milk
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 slightly beaten egg YOLKS
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 cup canned pumpkin
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-2 eggs WHITES
-1/2 teaspoon allspice
-1/4 cup sugar
-1/4 teaspoon ginger
-1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-1, 9" graham-cracker crust

Combine 1st 7 ingredients in saucepan. Stir in milk, egg YOLKS and pumpkin. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture boils and gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and chill till partially set
(this might take 1/2 hour or more). When its almost ready, start the next steps.

Beat egg WHITES till soft peaks form; gradually add sugar and beat to stiff peaks. Fold into pumpkin mixture with whipped cream. Pile into crust. Chill till firm. You can trim with more whipping cream or just walnut halves.

Note from my MIL:
I never put more whipped cream on top because there is plenty in the pie. I have also had enough of the pie mixture left, so I get the individual size graham-cracker crust and fill them. This is be frozen
for 4-5 months, also.

From the kitchen of Jan Segal.

No comments: