Monday, April 23, 2012

Baked Pesto Rotini with Chicken Sausage

This recipe was created last night after trying to use up all of the following ingredients in my fridge, freezer and pantry.  It was a huge hit.  Adam (my picky, complain about every meal kid) scarfed it down and told me how fantastic it was.  Zach seconded that notion with, "Thanks for making this dinner for me Mom."  Decided I should jot it down to duplicate in the future. 



-4 sun dried tomato chicken sausages, grilled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
-1 pound rotini pasta, cooked and drained (1/2 pound wheat pasta and 1/2 pound regular pasta)
-1 jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
-4-5 green onions, chopped
-1 cup shredded mozzarella
-A few tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
-1 jar pesto (8 ounces)...or make your own
**I realized afterward that I had some pine nuts in the pantry that I should have toasted up and added to this...must do this next time.

Combine all ingredients except for the cheeses and mix gently.  Pour into a greased casserole dish and top with cheeses.  Put under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and just starts to brown.

No comments: