Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nanny's Kielbasa & Sauerkraut

Here's the recipes for my Grandma's AMAZING kielbasa and sauerkraut - a staple in our house. I serve this with creamy homemade mashed potatoes or pierogies.

-3/4 stick of margarine or butter
-1 small onion, chopped
-32 ounce jar of sauerkraut
-2-3 packages (14 ounces each) of polish kielbasa (I use the turkey kielbasa)
-1/4 cup pastina (Miniature star shaped pasta - find it in the pasta aisle. I put these in tomato soup too!)
-1-2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)

Melt butter in a pan and saute onion for a few minutes. Meanwhile, thoroughly rinse sauerkraut. (I dump the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse and squeeze it with my hands for about 5 minutes). Add sauerkraut to onion, add 1 cup of water, and lightly simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes. Check and stir often to make sure there is still some water on the bottom of the pan...just enough that the sauerkraut doesn't burn.

After 45 minutes, cut kielbasa into 1 inch pieces and add it to the pan. Add pastina and caraway seed, stir and cook until kielbasa is warmed through.



From the kitchen of Helen Midagliotti.

No comments: